NOTE: Moved to GitHub – https://github.com/TechnoDezi/Mock-KingBird
Have you ever wanted to create a quick mobile app, maybe to showcase a concept or to demo mobile possibilities to a client? Are you stuck on the creation of API endpoints for your app?
I have had a huge problem lately with mobile app development and the creation of test api endpoints that might or might not be used again. Creating api endpoints for a quick demo or showcase is a lot of work, especially if you aren’t sure yet as to how the database might look or where the data will come from. Hard coding the data in the app is also out of the question since you want to always write production ready code.
I have found a few other similar tools but they are either very crude and command line based or they are in the cloud. Now some of the cloud based tools are great, but you cannot use them to proxy existing api calls and if you have sensitive client data such as banking apps you might need something that runs locally where you know your data is more secure or less exposed.
Over the weekend I have created an API mocking / stubbing tool that you can use to create api endpoints for your up-and-coming next-big-hit mobile app. No-fuss endpoint creation saves you from needing a database while you concentrate on the app itself.
With this tool, I call it “Mock-KingBird”, you can create endpoints easily using only json and an idea of how the data should look. The tool can also proxy existing API calls and record the responses in order to create a baseline for you to work from and playback the recorded data while testing.
Mock-KingBird supports the following functionality at the time of writing:
- Multiple projects
- Api proxy and record
- Proxy playback of recorded data
- New endpoint creation
- JSON editor and Viewer – so that you never have to leave the app
Endpoint Url’s are just that … Url’s. With Mock-KingBird there is no worrying about how it executes or where the request is handled – requests are simply matched on the url structure, request method and request data. If a request signature match recorded data, the response is returned to the client.
Because Mock-KingBird is written using Node-Webkit it supports multiple desktop platforms.
You can download the app here:
- App Create
- Added json input text select on click for easy copy
- Added full screen support and multi platform build
- Fixed proxy response time
- Added json editor
- Improved stability
- Fixed Json editor accept not saving
- Object matching instead of signature, more stable request matching
- Implemented Copy & Paste for Mac
- Added ability to lock endpoints from being overwritten during recording, esp for manual changes
- Add error handling for json parsing on endpoints edit
- v1.1.6 (Current release)
- New look & feel
- Add full url to endpoint list title
- Add dual mode proxy and playback – Playback recorded data and proxy what isn’t found
- Project / Endpoint Templates
- Proxy html / non JSON calls without recording
- Export / Import of project or database
- Dynamic lenient matching
- Clone Endpoint & Project
If you experience any problems please leave me a comment and I will try to slot it into the backlog for the next release.
Updates will be posted here, so please check in soon.
This app is free to use but if it works for your or you would like to contribute to the continued development please make a donation.